Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I needed Jocks' help, could he do it?

Two days ago I discovered that I have a couple of ewes that are unwell. They were all due for drenching, and the usual feet trimming, plus a general hands-on check, so I set about bringing them up to the pens. Fortunately almost all of them will come up for a bucket of feed, but there is one ewe that constantly hides from us. Her name is Yak (she looked like a baby yak when she was born and the name stuck) and if she can 'miss the muster', she will. On this day, everyone had come up except for her and two others. The other two were making their way slowly up to where I wanted them, but Yak wasn't having a bar of it, so I decided to go and get Jock for help. Oh, how I hoped he'd remember at least a little of his training as he hasn't been worked in months!

With ten sheep penned and two making their way slowly up to the pen, Yak was still in the original paddock that has a drain across it, and of course, she was on the wrong side of the drain. With Jock by my side, I walked down to the gateway of the paddock. Yak saw him and made a break for it over the drain and started heading up the hill over to the far corner of the paddock. Putting Jock on a stand, I turned to face him and sent him 'away' to go out and around Yak.
He did as was asked, but cut in too close and almost ended up going straight up to her. I tried to send him out, but he either didn't hear me, or ignored me. Yak took off, and Jock managed to get around her and bring her to me.
When she saw the other sheep she made a bolt for it to them, so I called Jock back to me to let her go. He was a bit confused because he's always been taught to bring them sheep to me, so he wanted to go around and head her again to bring her back. However, he did listen to me and we followed along behind her until she was with the other two sheep up in the first pen. I put him on a stand and he held them in the yard until I got the gate closed.

All in all, he saved me from doing a hell of a lot of walking, and most probably some swearing as well! He wasn't impressed that his work was done for the day, but he did seem to take it in good spirits.

A couple of things impressed me with the way he worked.
He went the direction I sent him (no questions asked),
He was able to out run Yak and turn her back to me,
He brought her too me in a very straight line,
He came off her when I needed him to, and
He held them in the yard whilst I shut the gate.

Not bad for a green pup!

However, there are a few things that we need to work on:

As usual, he was too close, and he wouldn't move out when instructed, so when the weather improves, and my health as well, we'll work on that.

Thanks Jock, for making my job that much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment