Monday, November 17, 2014

Why so many photo's?

Well, many years ago I hurt my back whilst fighting bushfires. Whilst putting a pump hose into a dam to fill the tanker, I got stuck on the way out and had to be pulled out by a fellow firefighter.  Unfortunately, rather than have him pull me out by both hands, he grabbed my right hand, causing me to twist. He got me free of the mud, but it wasn't until some hours later after going for a rest on the bed that I discovered what had happened. I couldn't move.

Jump forward about ten years, that same injury flared up and put me in the Alfred Hospital paralysed from the waist down for a week. Eventually the swelling in my lower back went down and I could walk again.
It's been on and off uncomfortable, painful and downright horrid to live with at times, since that last incident, until May of this year.

I finally landed the perfect job on a farm.  The hours were good, the money good, the people good and the work suited me well. About ten days into it, I hurt myself.
No, I didn't hurt myself at work, I hurt myself lifting my young daughter out of the bath.  Something I've done thousands of times with no problems, but this time, PROBLEM.

That was in May of this year (2014), and so far I've had CT Scans, Ultrasounds, X-rays and MRI's and they've discovered that I have 3 bulging disks. L4/L5/S1.  L4/L5 are pressing on the Sciatic nerve, causing excruciating pain down my left leg 24/7. There is also considerable swelling at the base of my spine that comes and goes as it pleases.
Some days I can walk a little, other days, not at all. I either cannot feel my left leg at all, or I can feel it, but it wont work.
I usually don't find out about it not working until I take a step and it collapses underneath me. Entertaining to watch, but damn painful.
My doctor is doing everything he can, and we're searching for a Neurosurgeon that'll do the surgery to take the pressure off the nerve, but it's a long, hard slog.

Until things are sorted though, I'm confined to either my bed, or my crutches. I can sit for short periods of time in the chair, which is when I update my blog, but that causes enough pain for me to have to get comfy on my bed for an hour or two, to recuperate.

Although not recommended, I often lay down on the floor with one of the dogs.  They are all cuddly, and none of them ever try to get above me.  They love the attention, and it does wonders for me to.

Now, don't get me wrong, the story above may sound like I'm whinging. I am not, I'm just stating why suddenly there are many more updates than there has been in the last twelve months, and why there are so many photo's. I'm one of the lucky ones, because although I'm on a lot of medication, and I live with pretty much constant pain that goes from a dull ache to screaming on the floor, at this stage I can still walk, I'm not in a wheelchair, and I still have both legs. I am not required to wear nappies as I still have control over those things, so I am one of the lucky ones.
Plus, it's my own damn fault for bending the way I did and lifting an 18kg girl out of water.

So, that's the story. Until we find a surgeon, or another option to get me back to normal, you'll see a lot more posts from me, complete with photo's if I have the camera handy!

Enjoy, stay safe, and look after your back! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment