Monday, June 11, 2012

How it all began, and why

For weeks leading up to bringing Jock home I had been scouring the internet looking for information on how to get Jock started on sheep. Youtube proved quite valuable for two reasons. One was a series of videos showing an older gentleman by the name of Ted Jones beginning training with one or two young dogs. These were only pups, and the training was very basic, but it gave me a starting point. The other was a short clip about a DVD that had been produced, which I will mention by name if I gain approval by the owner.

When Jock finally made it home, one of the first things I did was take him down to my sheep (on lead) for formal introductions. Almost all of my sheep come when I call them (usually expecting a feed) and were happy to stand on the other side of the gate and check out this little pup. At nine weeks of age, he didn't even reach their belly height, and knowing my sheep aren't that kind to dogs, I kept them on opposite sides of the fence.

The introduction went well, and Jock was very enthusiastic about it all. He desperately wanted to get in and 'play' with the sheep, but I needed him to grow up a bit first.

I might add, many people have advised me not to take my pup to sheep. He shouldn't be allowed to 'work' them, or even begin training until he is capable of outrunning them. I can understand the merit of this, however, I wanted to do things differently.

I didn't want to wait until my pup was 9 or 10 months old and already getting set in his way of doing things. I wanted him to retain his attitude, but to put it to use when I needed him to, rather than have to fight right from the word go to get my point across. It is something I saw for many years whilst working with, and breaking in horses.
If you get the chance to introduce a young horse (that is far from fully grown) to all of the gear (saddle, bridle, girths, rugs etc) when he is still small enough for you to be able to hold, you do not have anywhere near the hassles you have if you leave it until he is a very large, very strong (physically and mentally) 3 year old.

Imagine taking two Clydesdales at 8 months of age.
Clydie 1 is handled gently, and is allowed to taste, feel and wear all of the gear he will need to wear later on in his working career.
Clydie 2 is left to grow up in the paddock, with handling only when required, until his third birthday when he is asked to stand and have a bridle, saddle and girth put on.

If Clydie 1 reacts in an undesirable fashion, maybe by trying to run away, or shaking his body, or pulling back, you will be able to hold him and calm him. Although he is quite probably stronger than you, he is not aware of it at this age, and is unlikely to learn it as you hold firm on the rope.

If Clydie 2 reacts the same way, a Mack Truck wouldn't be able to hold him. You have effectively taught him that not only is this gear frightening, but if he pulls hard enough, he can get away from you. 2 lessons learnt that you will spend years trying to get him to unlearn.

Which would you prefer?

Although a dog may not be strong enough to pull out of your grip, he can still be strong enough to get away from you, or avoid doing what you ask, simply by ignoring you. Why wait for the fight to appear later when you can teach the dog as a young pup that you have ultimate control.

So, getting back on point, Jock had his first introduction to sheep. He knew what sheep were, but he'd never met my guys.

This was day one of his training.

No comments:

Post a Comment