Monday, June 11, 2012

Some basic training first

One thing I have always done is obedience train my dogs. Each and every one of them goes through the same training, adjusted slightly to suit different personalities.
Below is a list of things that each dog, including Jock, learns.
Come - All of my dogs are taught to come when called. Some learn this better than others, and some are faster to return than others. However, although with every other dog I have used the 'come' command to recall the dog, with Jock I changed it to "Here to me", which sort of comes out as "heretame" in one word. The reason behind this is because I wanted to use the command 'come-bye' when working sheep and didn't want him returning to me when I gave this command.
Stay - The dog is required to stay where I put it. Again, I changed this to 'stand' for Jock, for no other reason than it is what I heard a sheepdog trainer use. It works well and can't be confused with other commands.
Lead - The word lead is used every time I want to put the dog on the lead, or take the lead off. This is purely as a form of control. Each dog learns to wait calmly whilst the lead is clipped up and unclipped.
Pen - To go into their pen when told to, without first taking a wander around to check out the surroundings.
Wait - Especially good for getting dogs to sit and wait whilst you prepare their food. They are not allowed to eat until given a 'release' command, which is usually just a quick 'OK'.
Drop - Just as it sounds, drop down on to their belly with their elbows on the ground.

On top of all this, there's lead training. I will not have a dog tugging on the lead. It's not only bad manners and not good for their necks and throats, but it's not good on your hands either!

One thing that I hadn't taught a dog until Jock is 'stay close'. This is when the dog stays by your leg whilst you walk when off lead. It's proven a very handy tool for training around the sheep simply because I can keep him with me (most of the time) rather than have him take off and try to 'play' with the sheep by himself.

So, by the time Jock made it to three months old, not only had he started on sheep, but he had learned a whole host of obedience that would do him well in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment